Useful links for Housing Seekers

Information to help with your housing journey

HomeHelp & Resources

Housing Seeker links and resources

State and territory housing departments

You can let your state or territory government know that you need housing by registering with their Human Services department. Here are the websites for each state and territory:

  • ACT – Housing and Community Services ACT
  • NSW – Family and Community Services NSW
  • NT – Department of Housing NT
  • SA – Department of Human Services SA
  • QLD – Department of Housing and Public Works QLD
  • TAS – Department of Health and Human Services TAS
  • VIC – Department of Department of Families, Fairness and Housing VIC
  • WA – Department of Communities (Housing) WA


How to write a housing plan

How to write a Housing Plan Guide and the Housing Plan Template have been created to help support coordinators write housing plans for NDIS participants who want to test their eligibility for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) funding. The guide provides information on what to include to achieve the best possible outcome for the person you’re working for.

Learn more

NDIS Housing Pathway

The NDIS provides funding to help you reach your housing goals, but understanding how to get there can be hard. This resource details one pathway to mainstream housing.

View the pathways

How can I get help finding housing?

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS aims to provide reasonable and necessary support for people with significant and permanent disability. This may include paying for housing, changes to make your own home more accessible and/or supports to live independently in the community.

Who can get help from the NDIS?

If you are someone with a disability living in Australia and would like to know if you can get help from the NDIS, please use the eligibility checklist on the NDIS website.

Applying for the NDIS

Please visit “How to apply” on the NDIS website. You can call 1800 800 110 to make an Access Request or you can ask for a form.

Can I live in Specialist Disability Accomodation? (SDA)

If you would like to see if you are eligible for Specialist Disability Accomodation (SDA), or simply explore different housing options, you can talk to your Support Coordinator or Local Area Coordinator (LAC).

If you aren’t sure who your Support Coordinator or LAC is, talk to your planner at the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Compensation Schemes

If you are injured in a motor vehicle or workplace accident please contact the relevant body in your state or territory to ask for help.

If you are eligible to receive support from the Department of Veterans Affairs, you can contact DVA on ph: 1800 555 254 or visit a Veterans' Access Network (VAN) office for assistance.


If you need advocacy or advice about housing or other supports, you can find an advocate in your area by searching:

You can also find resources, tool kits, and advice at

Short & Medium Term Accommodation

When a person is waiting for their best long term housing option to be ready, they may need interim or temporary housing. The NDIS has made STA & MTA funding available. Click the link below to fund out more about this funding.

Short and Medium Term Accommodation Funding

Organisations that protect your rights

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission has been set up to improve the quality of services for people with disability.

If you are not happy with a disability service in your state or territory, you can also contact:

Stay up to date

Want to keep up with the latest news on disability housing and how the Housing Hub can help you and the people you support?

Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter here.

Browse Resources

document with a signature and the housing provider icon in the bottom right corner

Support Coordination Services

We now want to offer our expertise to people with disability through the provision of service delivery.

Link icon, green outline icon on a white background

Useful links for Housing Providers

A collection of information about Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), what is required for a property to be considered SDA and emerging market trends.

measuring tape icon, green outline

OT Resources

OTs play a critical role in facilitating great outcomes for people with disability. We have compiled some information and resources to support you in your work.

Belinda (author) sitting on her balcony drinking coffee


Ever wondered what it is like as a person with disability navigating the NDIS? Our Lived Experience Facilitators share their experiences in these article.