Who pays for SDA? – video transcript


Who pays for SDA? – video transcript

The NDIS pays for people to live in Specialist Disability Accommodation – or S D A.

If the NDIS says that you’re eligible to live in SDA, SDA payments are included in your NDIS Plan.

Sometimes, people just say S D A when they’re referring to SDA payments. So you might hear someone say, “I’ve got SDA in my NDIS Plan”.

The SDA payments from your NDIS Plan are paid straight to your SDA landlord.

You may also have to pay too.

People living in SDA usually have to pay a “reasonable rent contribution”. This means you pay 25% of your disability support pension to your landlord, plus any Commonwealth Rent Assistance you get.

Some people look at the many beautiful new SDA properties that are being built and think, “I can’t afford to live there.” But if you have SDA payments in your NDIS Plan, then you probably can!

The first thing to do is to see if you are eligible for SDA.

Some people have also built their own SDA with a loan from the bank, and used the SDA payments in their plan to repay the home loan.

For more info email: info@housinghub.org.au

Back to SDA explainer video series – Who pays for SDA?