Video 2: Can I live in SDA?

HomeHelp & Resources


Not all people with disability can live in Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA). The NDIS decides who can live in SDA.

To be eligible, you must have an extreme functional impairment or very high support needs.

Having an extreme functional impairment means that even if your home has been set up to suit you, you still need assistance to do things like:

  • getting out of bed
  • getting dressed
  • making meals
  • going out

Having very high support needs means that you need many hours of support every day. It might mean that your parents provide a lot of your support, but they are getting older, or you may have spent a long time living in a group home or nursing home. It may also mean that sometimes the way you act that might not be safe for you or the people around you.

If you want the NDIS to think about whether you can live in SDA, make “I want to live as independently as possible” one of the goals in your NDIS Plan.

Click here to learn more about the Housing Hub Team, our work, who to contact and how we can support you or email

Watch the next video

Download the factsheet here:

Download Pdf

Click here to return to the series overview.

Personal Stories

Linda offers her advice on looking for SDA

Linda explains the steps involved when looking for SDA highlighting the changes for her son and herself since the move.

View Linda offers her advice on looking for SDA

Liz's Poem

Liz shares through a poem her journey into her new SDA apartment.

View Liz's Poem

Featured Homes

Outer West Blue Mountains

Image of apartment building exterior with lots of trees and outdoor seating

Penrith NSW

Bedroom icon1Bathroom icon1Car park icon1| Apartment