Housing Options for People with Disability

HomeHelp & Resources


On this page

Private Rental

This is housing owned by private landlords and offered through mainstream real estate agents.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is available for a small number of NDIS participants who have an extreme functional impairment and/or very high support needs.

SDA funding is for the dwelling itself, and is not intended to cover support costs. Support needs are assessed and paid for separately by the NDIS through the provision of Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding.

Please click on the following link to find out more about SDA payments, design categories and building types: (This link will be to another page on the Housing Hub called “What is Specialist Disability Accommodation”)

Shared Supported Accommodation (SSA)

Shared Supported Accommodation (SSA) provides both housing and support services for people with a disability.

This may be in a group home or other living arrangement where staff are available to support the needs of the people living there. Supported accommodation is usually managed either by state government or community service organisations.

Please note, under the NDIS in Victoria, SSA properties managed by DHHS are now referred to as Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

Supported Residential Services (SRS)

Supported Residential Services (SRS) provide accommodation and support for people who need help in everyday life, such as people who are frail or have a disability.

Supported Residential Services are operated privately and do not receive government funding. SRS providers must be registered with the state government and are monitored to ensure they provide certain standards of personal support and accommodation.

The services provided, the types of people able to be accommodated, and fees charged vary based on the SRS provider.

Social Housing (public & community)

Social housing is made up of two types of housing, public housing and community housing.

It is for people on low income who need housing, especially those who have recently experienced homelessness, family violence or have other special needs. 

a) Public housing

Public housing is a form of long-term rental social housing managed by the state and territory governments.

b) Community housing

Community housing is secure, affordable, long-term rental housing managed by not-for-profit organisations for people on low income or with special needs. Community housing providers offer different types of housing depending on the needs and preferences of the family or individual.

These organisations are registered and regulated as part of a national system known as the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH). Some specialise in helping specific groups, like people with a disability, women, singles and older people.

Medium Term Accommodation

Housing referred to as Medium Term Accommodation (MTA) is transitional and can be paid for using a type of core support funding called MTA funding, which is available to some NDIS participants. Housing accepting MTA funding is typically available for up to 180 days and serves the purpose of being a stepping stone to more permanent housing within the community. MTA funding will only cover the cost of the housing and not the support.

Housing Associations

Housing Associations manage a combination of state government owned housing and/or other properties they own. Housing Associations range in size depending on the number of properties in their portfolio. Portfolios can range from 400 to 2000 or more dwellings.

Short Term Accommodation (STA)

Short Term Accommodation is also often known as respite and provides housing for short amounts of time with access to support. People use STA for a number of reasons such as when there is an emergency and they need a prompt housing and support response until a longer term option is found. People also sometimes use STA to have a break or change from their longer term living situation or to give carers a break.

Short Stay Holiday Accommodation

Short stay holiday accommodation advertised on Housing Hub is often accessible for people with disability and is available for short stays, such as when people with disability choose to go on a holiday. Support is generally not provided, however in some situations access to a concierge service may be available.

Personal Stories

Building SDA

Property Developer, Keith Fagg talks about his motivation for building Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA).

View Building SDA

Trevor chooses how he wants to live

Linda, Trevor's Mum, shares how Trevor's life has changed since he chose to live in an SDA apartment.

View Trevor chooses how he wants to live

Featured Homes